Sunday, October 11, 2009

Stupid people in the ST '09 Fandom

Really enjoyed reading some stuff I found in the new Star Trek Reboot fandom. Some awfully good writers out there.

However, there is a pet peeve that is driving me CRAZY with all the writers out there.

People:

THE ROMAN NUMERAL NINE IS NOT WRITTEN OR TYPED IN THE FORM OF...."XI."

Dudes, that's eleven, NOT nine.

...

You see my point? It's annoying.

If you want to write NINE in roman numerals, it's IX. Because one is I, two is II, three is III, FOUR is IV, five is V, six is VI, seven is VII, eight is VIII and NINE IS IX, while ten is X. The placement of the "ones" is what determines whether the number is larger or smaller. If it's placed in front of the larger number, then it's like saying "subtract this from the above." So technically you could write eight as IIX, but the convention is to write it VIII. Or, "five plus three" in other words. So putting the one AFTER the larger number makes it BIGGER. Thus, I+X is nine, but X+I is eleven. That's the formal convention, anyway.

ARRRG. I learned this in latin and spanish literature classes. Because classic spanish literature uses the convention of roman numerals to number the chapters. So DUH.

Can someone PLEASE GET A CLUE?

Mrr.

And my apologies to singingintime, who is an awesome writer, but her site did have a good example of this error (and I saw a lot on other sites....but her's was the one with the tab open, so I used it as an example). Which is why there's a link to her stuff above. You don't have to read it, to see the "xi"-ness.

On another note, spent the day cleaning and baking. Yum for scones!

2 Comments:

At 4:07 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - I'm just dropping by to say that the new movie is the eleventh Star Trek movie, hence the XI. You were probably thinking of it as Star Trek 2009 (which is all sorts of confusing and a ridiculously understandable mistake.)

So if they're referring to it as Star Trek '09, then IX is correct, but if it's Star Trek 11, then XI is correct.

Honestly, though, kudos on you - I didn't even bother looking for that kind of thing, and I usually do. Well spotted!

 
At 6:57 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

i totally understand your pet peeves (there are a lot of silly mistakes made in fandoms sometimes) but i did have to point out that the movie is actually referred to as star trek xi because it's the 11th star trek movie. if you see it written as star trek '09 that actually is meant to be the year, 2009.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home