Sunday, April 25, 2004

AEPhi formal, the Bell Jar and a walk

I had a great time last night. No. Really. It was the AEPhi formal at the Marriot hotel in hermosa beach...and it was fabulous. I took Jason with me. What a sweetie. I wore my pink dress, shoes, etc...and had a great time.

Dinner with sarah, brook, kate and Corrine was lovely. The napa Grill was excellent--I had Mushroom tortelloni with chicken. Yummmmmm. Right up there with some of the better food I've ever had. Of course, it was expensive--15-20 bucks a pop. But oh, was it worth it.

I danced the night away, and then smootched with jason on the ride home. Sarah was right, he's very gentle and considerate...Ah, stinks that I had to work afterwards.

So, I practically inhaled Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. --An excellent look at the seemingly normal front of mental illness and how normalicy is so easily twisted into a spiral of depression. Utterly fascinating and at the same time, so poigniant to read--the humanity of the characters is intact, though they are being internally stifled "under the bell jar" before they were ever really given a chance to live. From her viewing of a birth, the disillusionmentshe gains with her tb-infected hopeful doctor-fiance, billy, to the bell jars of foetuses in the hospital, to her bloody devirginizing, life just seems so cruelly clothed in a lingering emptiness for the main character, sometimes called "Elly". I loved the book, and if I get the chance, I'm going to definitely buy it and add it to my bookshelf at home. Marvelous. And, it was so easy and fun to read--every chapter has a funny little anecdote.

And now, I'm going to work tonight too. Ah well. I guess I'd better take a nap or something. Or maybe I'll go for a walk. That seems like a nice idea. Infact, I'll go do that now. Bye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home