Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Intellectual property...UCLA is stupid.

Back again, actually got a decent amount of sleep yesterday. Of course, getting a decent amount of sleep involved coming home from astro 3 and going to sleep until 845...then going around knocking on doors for game night on 6South....then eating a lot of food...and then going straight back to bed. Ahhhhh. I think I got a full eight hours of sleep. A truly amazing feat, since I covered Aileen's late shift monday, and was kind of loopy the next day. I have a late shift tonight. At least, I think I do. If everyone remembers I will. Hm.

Almog wasn't there for office hours on monday. Oh, and Amir freaked me out on sunday night and I thought the bibliography assignment was due. So, I did it Monday morning. Really EARLY in the morning. Arg.

I got some sort of notice from housing about file sharing. I think everyone got it. Stupid, if you ask me. The number of geeky smart computer people/hackers on campus is an exponential number compared to the people trying to regulate. There's always going to be ways around the ridiculous "file sharing" thing. Why then, are they being such asses about it? Pure idiocy. The intelligent nature of the Recording Industry is amazing. (sarcasm). Why don't they just pull their asses out of their butts and get a clue? Music is free. While a particular SONG, and its written lyrics are intellectual property, how is a recording of that song played ALOUD considered property? Silly. Who was the dumb dick that established that precedent? And another thing: what If I need that song for educational purposes? "Reasonable" educational purposes? Like to make a presentation for class? Or because it's lyrics are significant? Can I not play it anymore on my guitar or violin because it's copyrighted? That's just dumb. (And extreme.) Music is meant to be enjoyed---played aloud. Yeah, it belongs to the artist, but I don't see the ARTISTS getting paid much for the songs anyways, so what's the point of all the hullabaloo? They get paid only a few pennies for each cd sold. And frankly, the markup on cd's is 100-200%... they only cost about 30 cents MAX to make. Easy. So why should I pay the recording industry fat cats? You give me proof that the recording industry is giving more money to the artists, I'll quit sharing my files!

Ahh, time for breakfast. More analysis of this stupidity later...a blow-by-blow!
And now, a message from my sponsor: Food!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home