Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Alumni are cool. No, really!

Okay, that was cool. I went to the “careers for north-campus majors” night at the James west alumni center that My little Sis Totran helped/planned. What a really neat evening! All of the grads were so INTERESTING. I talked to a lady who was a creative scriptwriter and teacher, Meehna Goldsmith, who reccommended some really good books to read this summer (yay!) And some people to look up if I was really interested in the creative writing process. A fascinating woman–her last project was a film noir that she called “Off the press”...so if you ever see something by that name in the near future, she was the interesting person who came up with it...

Also another intersting lady called Ann Shepphird, who was an editor and travel writer for Association News and Sports travel magazine. (She was the first one I talked to). She was really interesting, and liked the traveling part of her job a lot. She advised us to go and do internships, and said that the companies really want you and treat you really well because you aren’t competing for their jobs, but are interested in learning the business (whatever it is).

Then I talked to Allison Levy who was the Marketing coordinator for MGM Home entertainment, who basically assembles all the elements involved in big screenplays and creates the total marketing package, advertisements, dvd covers/design/synopses, etc. Cool job, has a little bit of everything involved in it, budgeting, design, research ....interesting.

Sonia Solin was the non-profit director of Reading Is Fundamental for SOCAL... and recommended that we improve your writing skills for the business world by buying the Associated Press Handbook for learning the style of writing used for “press-core” writing...and said that we should practice our writing and get feedback on it (ta-daa! My blog!) In order to present ourselves well. She was really quite informative on just us following our passions and becoming comfortable with ourselves and what we wanted to do. Ha ha, a funny comment from her was “interviews are like first dates...same sort of ridiculous emotional rollercoster!” and when we were talking of interviews, she said writing the cover letter was almost as important as writing the resume itself! Ha ha, and, she gave advice about interview questions... “I:‘What are your flaws?’ S:...Well, I prefer to call them areas of development!!!” HA HA HA

Was so feeling like CRAP today, that I totally snuck out of Philo 7 an hour early, went to the house to get my sk8board, then hoofed it back to Ackerman union to buy more Nyquil...the one substance that I worship when sick. So I’m worshiping it now. Then, I went home, washed the goo off my face, and went to SLEEP. Poor Heather couldn’t motivate me to get out of bed (too tired and ick-sick feeling) and I slept until 6:20, when I got up and started getting ready for the alumni night. I wore my off the shoulder sweater and NEW BLUE SKIRT!!! SOOO CUTE!

So now, I should really go to bed.

On another (ha ha ha!) note... (I can’t stop!) Totran came over and visited. Poor baby is having man doubts/problems. Yikes. Well, whatever happens, I’m here for her....she sounded so upset! Hope she’s okay. Ha ha, Jules called me and said hello to my lil sis...ha ha ha, and said something (I’m sure) along the lines of “you’ll have to come drinking with us” or something about Totran’s alkie tolerance. Ha ha HA! Which is funny, because we all know what happens when you give her alkie...tee hee hee hee, really! (There’s pictures somewhere...) And she’s allergic to some kinds. Eh, I say just drink caffeine. It has more of a funny effect both with her and me anyhow than alkie has on my sister. Whohoo! Yay for cracked-out caffeine addicted college girls! WheeeHEE heee heeeeeee! *runs madly up and down the hall earning glares*

Turned in my “consortium agreement” with Eva yesterday...really do hope that it goes through. That’s the one that would let my parents pay UCLA, and UCLA would send the $$ to the U. Of Michigan for IES... Ohgawd, ohgawd, PLEAHHHSE let that sucker go through!

New list of things to do is horrendous. Yikes. SEE?............
VISA (June15)
RAIL PASS–>sta
PASSPORT PHOTOS (June 15)
MEDICAL REPORT (June 1)
“Cross cultural psych study” instead if cant get credit transferred
HOUSING–>cancel housing request.
PLANE TIX–>sta
RESUME/Curriculum Vitae–>sra. Dobos (internship..3para on goals..etc)
Martha “boncam?” 1.619.713.0125 for IES info

Cutie Pies activity
Sorority leave of absence

EMAIL:
email ubee UBEE 1.714.536.2263
email tyler about Oregon
Meehna Goldsmith ‘89 Screenwriter/educator m@earthlink.net
Email AnnaKay at a@wanadoo.fr about plans for next year!
Email carol at s@hotmail.com
BOOKS TO READ:
Graff, M. Culture shock! Spain
Hemingway, Ernest. The Sun Also Rises, Death in the Afternoon
Hooper, John. The Spaniards
Michner, James. Iberia
Preston, Paul. Franco: A Bibliography
Simon Winchester (author)
Walter Murch The Conversations
David Howard The Tools of Screenwriting
The Secret of the Temple; how the Federal Reserve runs the country
SEE:
“Secretary”
“Kill Bill II”
LOOK UP:
linda obst (producer)
John August (on screenwriting)
script-o-rama
Final draft Program for screenwriting
www.andrewripp.com for band guy
FANDANGO.COM / MOVIETICKETS.COM for harry potter!

Yup, that’s my list. Okay, going to go once again wash the goo from my face. Yaaaugh, need sleep! Ashe center tomorrow, here I come! OOOH! Forgot! Must study lab notebook! Yeek! BAI BAI!!

NTS: tai bay! and writing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home